In the intervening month or so since my last post...some stuff has happened. Here it is:
- We had a FABULOUS time skiing in Utah last week. Yes, we took the kids out of school. We flew out on Tuesday night, after school, and returned on MLK day. I don't think we will ever be able to return to Christmas skiing. The ski resorts were so much more calm and organized and devoid of skiier/snowboarder hoards. Also helpful...hiring a private instructor for all of our skiing days. The kids in particular made TONS of progress in their skiing skillz. I'm still working on gearing up for some speed (ie I'm a scaredy cat), but having someone around who was knowledgeable about skiing AND the mountain made all the difference.
- The day BEFORE we were to leave on our trip Sterling had a frightening kidney stone incident...which almost derailed the entire endeavor. It was frightening because he'd never had a kidney stone before. Imagine him writhing in pain and me driving frantically to the ER. I seriously thought he had appendicitis. The good news is the episode only lasted three hours, and he was pain-free for our entire trip. Phew.
- We were able to visit our first born at the BYU. Madison and Rebecca took a campus tour and then Jordan treated us all to lunch at the Cannon Center (meaning we paid for the meal card and Jordan swiped it for us). It was so fun to see where she eats everyday. Parker was seriously impressed. He's ready for some dorm living.
- For those of you not following me on Instagram, we've made some progress on our hideous study. We eradicated the brown paint, recovered the wing chairs, and hung some serious shelving. Here's a before pic I remember to snap at the last second:
- And here's the AFTER (still some stuff to do, including replacing the carpet with wood, but you get the idea...)
Aside from the fact that I couldn't stand that brown paint for one more second, this redo was largely intended to increase storage in the room. All of the books in the room were previously housed in a small-ish bookcase and on the floor...and in the living room...and in the attic. So, now I have better, more organized access to the books I use regularly. Also, not pictured, is the mid-century credenza, which sits on the wall to the right of my desk. That gives us nine drawers of storage for stuff like envelopes and printer paper and chocolate doughnuts. I've ordered a canvas for over the credenza...and once I get that area styled I'll take some pics. So....probably by the summer...2015. JK.
- We are all now back at school and work and in our appointed places. I am super disappointed to be done with the holiday/vacation portion of the year as I am allergic to long, uninterrupted periods of work. Sigh.